The sponsor of the 2014 The Look Photography Contest is Emerald Expositions, Inc., 85 Broad Street, New York, NY 10004.
The Contest ends June 23, 2014, at 11:59 pm PDT (the Entry Deadline). An
Extended deadline of July 2, 2014, will be issued after June 23, 2014, at
11:59 pm PDT with a $10 per entry late fee. All entries must be received by
the Extended Entry Deadline.
WHO MAY ENTER
Employees of Photo District News®
, and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries and agents, and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such individuals, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win a prize. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of entry. CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter electronically, please visit 2014pdnthelook.pdncontests.com to register. Once the registration process has been completed, you will receive an e-mail confirmation. Simply log onto the website and follow the online instructions to upload images from your computer. Digital images should have a long dimension of at least 2,000 pixels and be saved at 300 dpi (Around 7" or larger). We recommend the uncompressed file size not be larger than 4 megabytes to ensure a fast upload experience. We can accept images that up to 50 megabytes (uncompressed) if you do not have the ability to downsize the images. (Uncompressed is the size you see in Photoshop's "Image Size" display which represents the count of pixels in the image. It is not the file size on your computer's hard drive viewable on your desktop.)
Images may be color profiled in sRGB, Adobe-1998, or not color-managed. For more information on electronic submission guidelines see our FAQ.
- You may enter any number of entries in any of the categories listed below.
- No mail-in entry is available for this Contest.
- Each Entry consists of an entry form, and a single image and an entry fee.
- Each submitted photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that he or she has full power and authority to enter the photograph, and that the photograph does not infringe any copyright or violate any other intellectual property rights. The entrant agrees to indemnify The Photo Group from any and all third party claims arising from the photograph.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud, provided that entrants must be prepared to provide a release form as described below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close up of another person's art.
- If the Photograph includes other people, you must be prepared to provide a signed written personal release from all persons who appear in the Photograph submitted, authorizing use of the Photograph as provided below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." If you are unable to provide a personal release, upon request by Sponsor and in the form provided by Sponsor, then your entry may be disqualified. You do not need to send the release with your entry. If you win, we will contact you if a model release is needed.
- The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below. The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsors, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content. Photographs deemed inappropriate will be disqualified.
- On-line entries must be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, internet domain owner, or other person or organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
Images entered into this category must have been commissioned by an agency and/or client, such as campaigns, look books or website content.
Entries should be from print or online publications. Original images only—please do not submit layouts directly from the magazine. Outtakes from commissioned shoots are acceptable.
Product, jewelry and clothing shots from catalogs, as well as commercial work with a focus on still life/accessories may be entered here instead of advertising.
Personal Work/Fine Art
Test shoots, personal projects, conceptual/abstract work and fine-art photography with an emphasis on fashion are welcome here.
Acceptable entries include images from fashion shows (including behind-the-scenes photos) red carpet events and street style.
Studio and on-location shoots welcome. Emphasis should be on beauty details such as face, hair, skin or nails.
Students must be 18 years or older. Debut photographers should not have worked professionally for more than three years. A professional photographer earns more than 50 percent of his or her income from photographic sales and publishes photographs in books, magazines, newspapers or online regularly.
Video entries can include content from any of the above categories. Videos must be 10 minutes or less in length and hosted on a third-party site such as Vimeo or Youtube and viewable to the public.
Prizes are specified on the home page of the 2014 The Look Photography Contest website.
- Contest consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation. In Round One, a panel of Photo District News® experts in photography (the "Judges") will each review a portion of the entries and select a group of entries in each Category to proceed to Round Two. In Round Two, the Judges will collectively select, from among the entries selected in Round One, a winner in each Category. Limit one prize per winner.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, photographic quality and effectiveness in expressing the contest theme. Winners will be published in the May 2014 issue exhibiting the 2014pdnthelook Contest and also on the "2014pdnthelook" Web site.
- Decisions of the Sponsors and Judges are final and binding.
- Sponsors reserve the right not to award all prizes in the event an insufficient number of eligible entries meeting the minimum judging criteria are received, as determined by Sponsors and Judges in their sole discretion.
- If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
- By participating, ALL ENTRANTS grant the Sponsors and their designees, licensees or affiliates (the "Authorized Parties") a non-exclusive, worldwide license, through December 24, 2015, to reproduce,
distribute, display and post the entries online so that viewers may view all competing entries. In addition, each WINNER grants to the Authorized Parties a license for use of his/her winning entry
in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including but not limited to, print or digital publication in PDN® magazine showcasing the winners;
and promotions related to the contest. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
THIRD PARTY RELEASES/LICENSES
Winners authorize Emerald Expositions Photo Group to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the photograph entry in connection with 2014 The Look Photography Contest and promotion of 2014 The Look Photography Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including but not limited to: publication in PDN
showcasing the winners; The 2014 The Look Photography Contest live gallery; the 2014 The Look Photography Contest Web site and on PDNonline.com; and in exhibits and promotions related to the 2014 The Look Photography Contest. Winners authorize Emerald Expositions Photo Group to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the photograph entry in connection with the promotion of the 2014 The Look Photography Contest for up to two (2) years.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By participating, entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Emerald Expositions, Inc., and each of their respective partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
Sponsors assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Sponsors are not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants' or any other persons' computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to this Contest.
This Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Certain restrictions may apply.
Entries void if the Sponsor determines the entry to not be an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
Participants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final on all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) if he/she wins that Sponsor may use each winner's name, photograph, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except in Tennessee and where prohibited by law). All federal, state and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize are/is ineligible or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsors, in their sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another entrant.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTEST
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsors that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsors reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. If Sponsors elect to cancel or terminate the Contest, Sponsors will not retain any rights in the submitted photographs and will return the entry fees.